Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hobbema shooting a stark reminder, chief says - Edmonton - CBC News

Hobbema shooting a stark reminder, chief says - Edmonton - CBC News


This is a stark reminder of life on a reserve for native people.  I went to High School with native kids and had friends among them.

My own nephew is a native and I helped him years ago to get in touch with his native family.  His original family had been addicted to alcohol and he was adopted into our family when he was five years old.

He always felt different though, as he looks native, and people do stare.  I have seen it myself when he and I walked down Toronto streets together.

When native kids come to big cities, they oftentimes get mixed up with the wrong people and take wrong paths. 

I find this whole story a real tragedy.

No comments: