Saturday, June 25, 2011

I love Skype and webcams

I talked to my friend Nor in Malaysia for about an hour this morning.  She has a webcam as well and she was able to show me parts of her house and most of the time, the quality was very good.  Sometimes it faded out though.  If it is 9:30 a.m. here, it is 9:30 p.m. there.

We have not seen each other since 2000 when I interviewed her for the paper.  We have kept in touch though through e-mail and now will do the same through Skype and webcam.

What an experience it was!  It was almost as good as if she were visiting me here at home.

I just cannot get over being able to talk for free.  I have such fond memories of Nor as we used to talk every night on the phone when she was in Toronto as a "fellow" doing research at the hospital downtown.  We chumed around quite abit at that time. 

I also was able to interview some of her fellow doctors who came to Toronto and I was invited to visit them in their temporary homes.  I interviewed two more of them from that group as well.

They had a little gathering and I was invited.  What a delightful time I had and such down to earth women they were.  All of them very highly educated, but without putting on "airs". 

Nor and I even went up to Kitchener to visit my daughter and we had a good time there as well.

It was so wonderful to hear her voice again and see her face.

What a marvelous thing Skype is! To learn more about Skype and other solutions, read these VOiP reviews.”

No comments: