Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Marvin Ross Production at St. Joseph's Hospital

The Brush, The Pen and Recovery Produced by Marvin Ross

I am unable to post the http: link onto this blog for some reason but please go to your search engine and type in the name of the film and you will be able to see more about it.

What a tremendous film Marvin produced about mental health disorders including schizophrenia. I knew quite a few of the people from The Cottage Studio who were the featured performers for this wonderful film. A few years ago, I had the honour of providing space at an Art Show at St. Paul's which I was in charge of. I have had the pleasure of knowing several of the folk who belong to the Cottage Studio and seen their work.

There were many fine speeches by St. Joe's Head of Staff and also the Head of the Hospital Foundation - all of which were very impressive in their compassion and understanding that they displayed towards people with mental health illnesses. I was most impressed by a young woman who spoke about her own path after being diagnosed with schizophrenia when she was quite young and how her life went. She now is well enough to speak to schools and other places about mental illness. She was indeed a very powerful speaker and I could hear every word she said.

After the event, there was a reception and that is when the pictures below were taken. I was so glad that Marvin invited me to go. It was a tremendous film and one that everybody would benefit from seeing in order to understand those with mental health problems better.

===================================================================


Bernadette and I. Bernadette is a terrific poet and a dear friend whom I respect tremendously. It is always a joy to see her.
Jen and I at the wonderful evening. She is one of the artists at the Cottage Studio and we know each other from the Freeway. She saw me just as Bernadette and I were leaving. We did not stay for the reception as it was already 8:30.

No comments: