Monday, May 3, 2010

Sad news

I just got an e-mail from my son to tell me that an old friend of mine is now in Palliative Care in the Toronto area. He received an e-mail from her son.

She has been fighting cancer and it looks like she is losing. She and I go back 37 years, when we first met in our apartment building. We used to walk together pushing our two boys in their strollers. We remained friends all these years even those both of us moved away from Toronto.

The boys, also, have remained friends.

When a friend is in a bad way, my heart grieves especially since there is nothing I can do to help.

Speaking of helping, I saw a sight today which also touched my heart. A Niagara ambulance and Niagara Police cruiser raced through downtown Hamilton with sirens roaring. It was on its way to St. Joseph's I think. I said a prayer in my heart for the person and the family who is in such a delicate position that they had to come all that way to another city to get the care they need.

It just shows me the impermanence of life and that we should cherish our friends and family and live each day to the best of our ability.

On a happier note, I bumped into an acquaintance of mine on the street and we spent some time together. She is a very creative person and she took me to see her display at the Artist Studio on the St. Paul's property. She makes buttons and is a terrific photographer. She is self taught when it comes to both those crafts.

Today I had to renew my Seniors pass at the Go Station and so we walked over there together and shared a fruit drink. Lucky another friend of mine reminded me to do that, or otherwise I would not have been able to take the bus much longer.

In Hamilton the Seniors pass is only $18.00 a month and can be deducted from your bank account which is extremely handy! One has to give them $18.00 to activate the process each year. It is a real bargain!

While I was in the mall, I needed to get my watch battery changed. The price has gone up to $11.00 now but if you consider the fact that the battery lasts one year usually, it is still quite economical.

While I was in the jewelry store, I priced a lovely set, necklace and earrings. The beads were nice and it was long enough to go over my head. I find them the easiest to use especially for people with arthritis! I asked the price, and it was $300 plus tax for the set.

Needless to say, I said thank you and gave it back. It was very nice but not even Swarovski crystals!

Now, I plan to start to transplant my indoor plants and give them new earth. Poor little things have been sadly neglected by me sometimes as I am so busy with other things!

Oh, I forgot, I bumped into four other people in the Mall that I know and had a nice chat with them. One of the ladies had knee surgery six weeks ago, and she is now doing so well that she is using a walker and walking in the mall. However, she said she never wanted to have that operation again as the pain was unbearable and almost drove her mad. She remains on very strong pain medication.

I sure can relate to that! She is fortunate, she has a husband at home and he is retired so he can help her.

Other than that, there is nothing else new today. Must start on the re potting now!

No comments: