Monday, September 26, 2011

Cootes Drive, Butterfly Place and Victoria Park

The butterfly place in Dundas

A lovely spot with information at the butterfly place

Sorry,these pictures should be at the end but my computer would not allow that.


The day started off on a bad note. My monitor died just as I was typing an e-mail.  Before calling my computer fellow on the Mountain, I decided to call Andrew to see if he knew of anybody who was giving away a monitor.

He did!  By 7:30 p.m. Andrew had installed a wonderful monitor.  I don't know where he got it, all he said was "God Provides" and here was a monitor which would fit my needs.

Needless to say, I am extremely thankful.

I was not sure how much a new used one would cost plus the $70 charge just to come.

My problem is now solved, thanks to the kindness of Andrew.

At 3 p.m. Jeff picked me up to show me Cootes Drive in Dundas.  It was lovely.  We took lots of shots.

Wild grapes growing

Part of the daisy family I think

Spencer Creek?

It was an amazing walk there.  In some parts it was a little rough walking but with my cane I managed just fine.  Jeff did the crouching down to take some close up pictures for me and went further into the brush to get good shots sometimes.  He always does this which I appreciate.

We saw a darling little tree frog, hopping on the walkway.  He was not afraid of us at all.  We tried to take pictures of him but mine did not turn out.  I think his colour blended in too well with the walkway.

I was enchanted with him.

Happily, we did not see any garter snakes which are harmless and not even very large but I would not have felt so comfortable seeing them.


A reflective poet


We were there so I could get the "feel"of the place as the picture I chose  to write a poem on from Carnagie Gallery is a willow tree.  This walk through the area has given me not only a great deal of pleasure but a deeper insight of the area.  We did not find the particular willow tree but we did see lots of willows.

I still can use the older couple walking there hand in hand but will have to change a few other things after seeing the area.  I had no idea it was so beautiful!  I want to bring that cute little frog in somewhere in the poem as well.  I think that was the highlight of the nature walk for me.


As many of the readers on this blog are from other countries, I hope that it will inspire people to see the beauty of Canada and to get to know the City of Hamilton a little better.



Me 

I was a little nervous there as there was a bit of an incline just after that branch and the water was below.

The last we went to a nature spot in June, I had a tumble down an observation dock!


milk pod

So much beauty but we were only allowed to park the car for two hours.  We met many people walking the trail and everybody was very friendly.

After that we headed over to the Butterfly place in Dundas which also was great.  We saw so many beautiful plants as well as different butterflies.  At his suggestion, we went for coffee in Dundas and then over to Victoria Park in Hamilton and walked around there for a while.  I was pleasantly surprised how nice Victoria Park is.  From the bus, it does not look like much.  I may go there myself as the No. 8 bus will take me.  There are picnic tables and patches with a fence to grow things, a children's playground and also the start of a butterfly garden.

I was quite impressed with the area.  It seems quite quiet and there is an elementary school near by plus some apartment buildings.

Anyway, that is it for the blog today.  Hope you enjoyed the pictures and drop by another time if you wish.










No comments: