Thursday, January 21, 2010

A great evening with Poetry Center

We had a lot of chuckles and there were 21 poems to get through in two hours. As you can imagine, it was hard to do that.

At Westdale they are very strict about closing time and they gave us ten minutes advance notice.

This group is a younger group with different ideas. I am so fortunate to have the benefit of two very different critiquing styles.

Alvaro picks me up so that I can go there. He is very kind. He is a well known poet here in this area. As a matter of fact, he will be the opening poet for an invited guest from Calgary at Brian Prince bookstore next Thursday night.

It turns out that we both like opera, which is a real treat for me as I don't know too many men who like it.

In any event, I really had a good time tonight with lots of laughter and the group liked my poem very much and offered only very minor possible amendments.

In the car going home, Alvaro said that was my best poem that I have ever written and he is very glad that I am getting away from rhyming. He said it was so real. Quite a compliment from him!

Now onto other matters, I shall be going to Toronto to celebrate my girlfriend's 90th birthday at the end of the month. Shall stay overnight and then go back in the afternoon of the next day so we can have a nice little visit.

We go back a long way, about 37 years. We used to be neighbours on Gulliver Road.

I am so blessed with so many wonderful friends. I cherish each one of them.

No comments: