Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Too exciting a day!!!!

I must say that I can do without this kind of excitement. The superintendent called me to tell me that there had been a catastrophe and Cat Global were there trying to fix the situation and that there would be no elevators working. She hoped that I did not have to go out. The catastrophe was sewage backing up into the elevator shafts.

Unfortunately for me, I had made a commitment to Freeway to lead a Creative Writing Session and so I went down the 9 flights of stairs with my heavy bag and coat, then took the bus to the Freeway. As I was crossing Main Street, a lady all of a sudden just collapsed on the sidewalk and thankfully two men helped her right away. She crumpled like a rag doll.

In the meantime, before leaving I sent my son and daughter an e-mail telling them that I may not be able to get back in with all those stairs to climb. My son called right away and did not want me to even attempt the climb back upstairs.

After I got home from the workshop, he offered to pick me up and I could stay with them for a few hours or even overnight if necessary.

I called after the workshop and found out that the elevators would not be operational for several days but that they would help me up the stairs so I opted for that course. I don't like to be away from home for very long, especially with the cats there needing attention. I am a real homebody sometimes!

The superintendents were great, we did a few steps, stopped, rested and then carried on. They carried my coat and my very heavy work bag. I am so thankful to them.

I let my son know that I was upstairs as soon as I got in the door and will remain here until the elevators are in order. I don't need to go out until Saturday for the poetry event in Oakville.

Other than the mess downstairs and all the catastrophe men working, and the inconvenience of no elevator, the day went fabulously well!

I had prepared enough work for about two hours worth of exercises and people participated very well and we all had some good laughs and each person read their work out loud. I also did a handout for the group (10 people including myself) and I have offered my help to a lady who is a new writer.

All in all, it was a good day.

I shudder to think how much the condo fees will go up from this latest disaster!

Andrew, my neighbour on the 7th floor called me to ask if I needed anything as he was going away for the weekend and wanted to make sure I had what I needed. What a nice thing for him to do. I am so blessed with my neighbours here in the building.

An early night for me, I should think!

No comments: