Monday, February 7, 2011

Sunday and Monday's events

I had the pleasure of going to St. Paul's on Sunday morning.  The Sunday School children took part in the service and in my opinion, they did extremely well.  It takes a lot of courage to stand up in front of everybody and read the lessons or participate in the service in any way.

Well done children!

There was an excellent speaker there from the Presbyterian World Service and Development Agency which is part of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.  Her name is Dr. Kathryn Hare.  She talked about the work done by this arm of the church such as teaching communities how to grow new crops and increase  yields for more nutrition and food.  Vulnerable children are receiving an education as well.  HIV and aids patients are being cared for and supported.  Injustices are being combated through a shared commitment to human rights. 

The list could go on and on, clean water, health care, help for refugees and emergency relief.  This agency works to address the root causes of poverty to ensure people have real hope for the future and develop self-sufficiency.

For more information, please see their website:

www.presbyterian.ca/pwsd

I had brought a young friend with me and she was warmly welcomed by the congregation and felt very much at home.

Sunday afternoon, I had an invitation for tea from Rosemary in my building.  We had a most enjoyable visit for several hours. 

Unhappily, I felt unwell as I had not slept for two nights and was unable to go out to Lit Live that evening.  The winner of the Acorn Plantos Award is Chris Pannell for his poetry book - Drive.  I was very sorry to miss this event as I had looked forward to it.

Most regretfully, again I did not sleep that night and my day has been quite unproductive due to that fact. 

I did some much needed filing and did a little bit of jewellery making then took my library DVD's back just to get out for a while and see something different than four walls.

With this new system, I could not figure out how to renew my things so I asked the librarian how to do it and she told me how. 

I find a week is very short to be able to borrow DVD's so I renewed them for more time through the internet.

Tonight is one of my favourite nights for television, with Little Mosque on the Prairie as well as Midsummer Night murders.

Thanks for reading my blog and have a good day!

No comments: