Thursday, September 30, 2010

The events which have taken place over the past few days

I stopped writing this blog for a few days so that several folks from Texas could read  the article on Dementia  without having any difficulty in finding it. I see that they have visited it several times so now I will begin writing on other things.

I had my New Writing Group, facilitated by Chris Pannel and I brought my story of the Iranian family who was shipped back to Iran.  I got a lot of constructive suggestions and most of the people felt it was a very powerful story.  It was factual in that these things did happen, but obviously names have been changed as well, as it was made into a fictional story.  Some time this winter, I hope to incorporate some of the suggestions into the story.  I really enjoy this group as it is mostly seasoned writers and I feel very much at home with Chris as the leader.

To make things even better, it was Brian Henry's workshop at the Volunteer Bureau in the International Village here in Hamilton and both my friend Jennifer and I attended this one.  I really enjoy going to his workshops, this is my second one.  I only go to them when he comes to Hamilton.  We did a short writing exercise and I quickly wrote about an experience I actually had had. A young doctor was my partner in critiquing and she said I got all the medical things correct.  I will expand on this story whenever I get the time to actually sit down and write.  I have two stories that I have to expand on, plus I am revisiting some of my poetry and improving them so that I can bring them to my poetry group.

If that wasn't enough delightful things to do, the next day was a poetry reading at ArtWord/ArtBar on Colbourne St. near the Anglican Cathedral.  This time James Dheal featured Sarnia writers and I was delighted to see them again. 

I really enjoy the afternoon poetry readings better as one is more awake!  It surely was a Literary week for me, as I had the Literary Committee at Arts Hamilton to attend on Wednesday. It went well.

A friend of mine has invited me for an early supper tomorrow, he'll pick me up and  bring me back. 

Saturday will be a sad day, it is a memorial party for Kerry Schooley from 2-5 p.m.  Maureen will be coming in from Woodstock for this as well as other friends from here will be attending.

Kerry was a driving force in the literary community here, plus a gentle and kind man.  His friends and family will miss him very much. 

He was only 62, a comparatively young age to go.  It just shows me that I should cherish my family and friends and be respectful to all I come in contact with, for one's  lifespan is just a drop on the canvas of time, blink and it is gone.

Thank you for reading my blog.  Come back and visit again.

No comments: