Saturday, September 18, 2010

A very busy but nice Saturday

I arrived at Bibles and Bagels closer to ten than the hour of nine a.m. but that is the only way I can do it due to my sleep problems.

The girls were happy to see me and I them! 

I like the book we are studying from this year.

As soon as I got home at 11 a.m. I saw a message for me inviting me out to dinner at Toby's which I gladly accepted.  We had a nice lunch together and spent about an hour.

After I left, I went to the Iranian shoemaker near Toby's and he was able to fix the strap for $7.00 which I gladly paid as it made my purse more secure.

He was really busy! 

I haven't been able to do much work at home today as I had to go out to Westdale for our Tower Poetry Group.  I don't mind taking the bus out there in the day time but at night, I don't do it as I then would have to come downtown by myself.

I took my Celebrity Motel poem which deals with refugee claimants and adjudicators.  I had some suggestions and I will see what I can do with them.

I have so many stories in my head from that time when I worked so closely with people in difficulty.

It was quite special today as an elderly gentleman was there and he had written a poem about his wartime sweetheart.  He did a rhyming poem which I, of course, like the best.  It is such a romantic thing really, he and a lady met during the war in England and when he went back to Canada, they did not have much correspondence and both people married others.  Years and years passed, families were raised and then her husband passed away. He was still married but after his wife passed away, somehow they got in touch with each other and the romance kindled again.  They even got written up in an English paper.  Now they have re-established their relationship and I am very happy for both of them.  Needless to say, they are both very elderly!  It just shows that when something is meant to be, it may take time, but it will happen.

I think the whole group was touched by his poem as I certainly was. 

It was a good group today with lots of nice events coming up, including the partnership with Tower and the Carnagie Gallery.  I have to go and pick a picture out to write a poem about so if I have the time, I ill do it this week.

Kay offered me a ride home which I gladly accepted.  I hope to be able to do nothing tonight and just rest as I feel quite tired.

Tomorrow is St. Paul's church picnic and it is a potluck.  I just don't have the energy to make something right now.  I'll have to see what I can bring from my stash of "goodies".

All in all, a lovely day!

No comments: