Thursday, September 3, 2009

The last Whitehern Concert Sept. 2,2009

Jeanette herself - on her last day at the Freeway with the Seniors Group.
Ah young love - they will miss each other while Jeanette is gone!

My two little lovebirds at the Freeway - Jeanette and Matt .Jen looking on.


The music was so good that this elderly couple got up and danced! How wonderful to see!



Jeff, James (standing) and Ed - three local poets




James, Wilma and Jeff - last concert at Whitehern for this summer.





We had a marvelous time with perfect weather. The garden looked heavenly, flowers in full bloom still. The only problem were the wasps which I am allergic to.

I never knew I was allergic to bees, wasps, hornets until I went to pick up my friend Mary from the hospital in Toronto and while I was waiting at the bus stop, the only wasp in Toronto targeted me! I think it was colourful flowered blouse that it zoomed in on.

By the time I got to the hospital to pick my friend up, I could not breathe and had to go into the emergency myself!

They phoned up to the ward and eventually we both went home to her place together, each one looking after the other!

That is how I found out that wasps, bees and hornets are not something I should get too close to!

In any event, we had a fun time at the Whitehern Concert, sharing what we brought to eat, buying delicious lemonade and in general, just treasuring our time together until we begin again next summer. I will write to the City and also to Whitehern to show our appreciation from the group, hopefully some time today or tomorrow.

Being a picture hound, naturally I brought my camera with me and took several shots. Lonnie, a member of the staff, brought a new person over to meet us and he was very congenial and we now have included him in the group. He is from Egypt and seems quite a cultured man.

Very interesting to talk too as well.

We brought him with us to the Freeway Seniors Group and there he met Jehan who is from Afghanistan and works for the Community so this is most helpful for him as he is pretty new here.

While I was at the Freeway, I was asked to submit some of my short stories and poetry to Monkeybiz and perhaps I will eventually. I suggested they get an ISSN number to make it more official and encourage more people to submit their work. They have promised to look into it. They were kind enough to ask me to be their first senior to be written up. I did it so that other seniors will see their own worth and get more involved in the community.

Anyway, have got to get organized for the day as I am taking this new person to get his seniors bus pass. He had never heard of that so it is good that he came to the garden.

It was Jeanette's last day at the Freeway before she goes to Bolivia. Took pictures of her and Matt together and also of her alone. She is such a dear girl and I am sure she will do a great job in Bolivia! The children will just love her, she is such a decent person and very friendly.

Now that the cooler weather has come, I shall go and sit again in the gardens when I have the time. I just love it there and would say that it is my favourite garden in Hamilton!
All in all, a wonderful day!

No comments: