Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Tuesday night at Pier 8

I was supposed to meet two buddies at the waterfront.  They were not ready yet and would come down a little later than me.  I started glancing up to their usual spot and did not see them. I couldn't read as I was unable to see very well yesterday until about 7:30 p.m.

I was able to do crochet though and these two young men came over and asked me what I was doing.  We got along just fine and I taught them single crochet.  Another time, I will teach them double crochet etc. etc.  These boys must have been about 14 and they were delightful kids - good manners and very respectful.  They were fasting for Ramadan and this is why they were down at the water just walking around to pass the time until it was time to break the fast.  They were fascinating to talk to and to show them how to do single crochet which is the basis of any pattern.

One dear lady came over to ask if everything was all right when we sat there.  I appreciated her concern as you don't see young men with an old lady much and perhaps she thought they were bothering me.

The boys did not understand why she asked and said to me later "what's that all about".  I tried to smooth the matter over and distracted them with some crochet lessons so everything was fine again.

I also had the pleasure of some young 10 or 11 year old boys laughing and chasing each other all over Pier 8, skipping stones into the water and just having good clean fun.  It was so much fun for me to watch them and it brought back many good memories.  We established a little bit of a relationship by smiling at each other.

Eventually, I noticed that the sky was getting darker and darker and started to head back towards the bus when I saw my two buddies not in their usual spot so I could not see them from where I sat.

We sat and chatted for a few brief moments and then I looked up and saw a curtain of rain heading for Pier 8 and we started to run.  Unfortunately, the rain was faster than we were and we got soaked.

Sami and I headed for the bus while Mohammad chose to duck under the band shelter awning.  The bus was waiting for us and we took it home.  Sami called Mohammad to let him know we were both on the bus moving towards down town.

Bye the time I got home, my clothing was so wet that I hung it up on the bathroom rod and let it dry overnight.

I could not resist leaving Mohammad a message on his land line that he should have listened to me and come to the bus where there is another awning where he could shelter.  I was laughing so hard on the phone that I pressed the wrong button and I think he would not have gotten that message.  I dialed again and left him another message  still with much laughter in my voice.

What fun that was!

That was the adventure for last night - a great time, met some new people and talked to lots of other people who were walking their dogs.

Thanks for dropping by.

No comments: