Friday, May 5, 2017

Hamilton Sings! Community Choir event Sunday April 30,20-17


"Songs of Canada at 150 Plus" with Dave Gould, song writer & guitar and Stephen Fuller, violin.


The weather was more then threatening as I poked my head through my beige drapes to peek out.  My heart sunk as I saw the dismal wet weather, and I wondered if people would still attend this very worthwhile concert put on by Hamilton Sings! Community Choir at 3 p.m. at Christ Church Cathedral on James St. North.

Fortunately for me, the rain paused for a short while and I was able to get the #4 Bayfront bus.  I hadn't been there for quite some time, and got off too early on the route making the walk up to James Street North as well as the extra blocks to Colbourne a long walk for me.  Fortunately I had my trusty walker with me.

I was concerned whether or not the church was accessible but could not find any answers so took a chance and brought my walker and I am so glad that I did.  They have a one seat open platform which goes over the stairs and gets the occupant in their wheelchair or walker up the stairs while they are seated. A teenage boy operated it.  I was very happy to see that they have this open platform.  I am also very glad to know that the group will have their performances back at the Cathedral in the future, as it is much easier for me to get to.

As I arrived very early I had a great choice of seats so I sat near the front and saved a seat for Anita who was to join me there.  In the end, our pew was all filled up and the church was packed!

They sang a variety of songs representing many of the different ethnic groups which make up Canada, from Italian Canadians to Chinese Canadians!  Excellent representation of not only the English and French population but of many other groups of people who live in Canada and call it home.

I was touched by many of the songs but particularly by the song called Starlight Tours about a  Cree First Nations young man of 17 who was left to die of exposure by the police in Saskatchewan.  In fact, I cried silently through the whole song and hoped nobody noticed me.

His name was Neil Stonechild.  As an aunt who has a nephew from the First Nations, people, this made me angry and brought to my mind other instances where native people have been discriminated against.

We, as a nation, have a lot to answer for on how we treat our First Nations people among other things.

All in all, it was a very, very good concert and they hosted a lovely buffet after that - the price was perfect - $10 for the ticket which included a buffet at the end.

I will certainly go next year.


Thanks for dropping by.















No comments: