Saturday, May 6, 2017

Battlefield House and the Pump House

The day was better weather-wise than it has been for a few days.  It rained but not excessively.

This was my third day without much sleep so I was not very perky but in spite of that, I went with my friend Jeff to two of the Open Houses at Hamilton's Museums.

It also did not help that I forgot to put in my hearing aids as I don't use them at home due to the cost of batteries.  I don't use them in the mall either nor the library so it is only when I go out somewhere special like today when I use them.

He picked me up at the back door at 1 p.m. and we went out to Stoney Creek's Battlefield House which has a long and colourful history especially with the war of 1812 when the Americans tried to conquer Canada.  Happily for us, we remain a unique and wonderful country, with many different ethnic group.  The Gage family lived there at that time and that they were forced out of their house.

Here are some pictures of the house and surrounding area.

A swollen stream

The  tower

The dining area in Battlefield House

The sign about the battle of Stoney Creek

Jeff

Me


It was a very interesting place to visit and Jeff was able to go up the stairs to see the bedrooms.  There were 10 children in the Gage Family.

Here are some more pictures from Battlefield House.



Jeff posing with the soldiers

Me, along with the red coated soldier.





After that we went to see the Pump House which was not too far.  It also was interesting.  The history of the water filtration plant



I didn't take many pictures of that though.  I did take a picture of the first television in Hamilton but I guess it did not turn out as I don't see it.  It was a round screen and quite tiny compared to what we have today.

It was a nice way to spend a few hours in good company.

Thanks for dropping by.














No comments: