Saturday, December 29, 2012

Creative juices flowing again

Today the snow has started to fall quite thickly and I am glad that I don't have to go outside.  I did everything yesterday which needed doing, including getting in some groceries as the weatherman warned our area that there would be a snowfall.

Apparently it will not be as bad as the other day but best to prepare, just in case.

I can remember as a young mother being snowed in and unable to be picked up to go to my Aunt's for Christmas Day.  At that time, we lived in a basement apartment in a very nice building.  Our apartment was very cozy but when the snow fell, the windows became covered with the deep snow.  It was a very quiet Christmas day that time and it taught me a very valuable lesson - be prepared for any eventuality. 

There wasn't much to eat that day as we had planned to be with my aunt and uncle and cousins for the day in a close by city and as a working mother, I hadn't had the time to go grocery shopping having only a few hours off on Christmas Eve afternoon.

The lesson learned?  Have more canned goods in just in case of emergencies.  I taught my daughter the same lesson, we both prepare for the winter by buying a few extra tins of beans, spaghetti sauce or whatever to have on hand, just in case.

Now, what does this have to do with creative juices flowing again?  Isn't life a series of finding creative ways to cope with the every day frustrations and ever increasing fast pace of life?  The snow reminded me of a time in the past in Montreal and the need to be prepared.

I am now preparing for a show something in the Spring and plan to hold another jewellery party in our party room.  It takes careful planning, lots of baking, handcrafting creations to delight the eyes, not only in jewellery but in how it is displayed. At the same time, I plan to invite writer friends to perform their work at the party.  I may even have a Mexican dancer and a clown from Toronto.  This will be fun and well worth the effort as it gives people a chance to come out and socialize, buy presents for themselves or for loved ones if they see something they like, and to have a good time.

I have had two or three jewellery parties in the past and people enjoyed themselves as did I.

I am getting quite excited about the idea now. 

Just to show you my newest creation, here are some pictures.  Norm, a friend of mine, who is a professional photographer, will come at some point and take much better pictures than I can with my little camera and my shaky hand.







 As you can see, the chains are shorter now.  In the beginning of my jewellery making path, I originally thought of making long chains that could fit over the heads of people who had arthritis or were just too busy to fiddle with clasps and wanted to slip something pretty on in a hurry.  I still make them but now have started to make chains 20 inches long. 

As a personal favourite, I love the black chain the best.  It looks so elegant against a black sweater or dress.  I sold a design to a lady I know and she always wears it with a black sweater and one sees the design and not the chain.  Very striking.

On that note, I shall close for now.  Thanks for dropping by.  Enjoy your day and live each moment being thankful to the Creator who has given life and has a plan for each one of our lives.  It can be a hard thing to do on the days when things just don't go the way we would like them to go, but over my long life, I have observed that it was good that God did not grant some of my requests.  He sees the long range plan, we only see the immediate and that is where trust comes in.






No comments: