Saturday, November 20, 2010

St. John's Bazaar

Today was a very busy day for me.  It was the mission bazaar at St. John's which raises money to help such missions as LAMP, the Living Rock and several others.

LAMP is a mission run by the Lutheran Church to the Far North's native people where it is only accessible by small plane.  They are very isolated especially in the winter months.

Living Rock, of course, is a mission run by the Craigs for youth and is right across the street from the church. 

People thronged into the church hall as soon as the doors opened  Some darting to the White Elephant table, others making their way to the various tables which housed hand knitted goods, silk scarves, and Christmas decorations just to name a few items.  Others made a beeline for the bake table to purchase a scrumptious torte, then came to my table for coffee, tea, or juice. There was something there for everybody to enjoy.

As is usual, the bake table had a lovely array of German baking, reasonably priced.

My job each year is to be the one who pours coffee and tea.  It certainly kept me busy for most of the time as we served bottomless cups of coffee, herbal tea, black tea and juice for the children.  All for a dollar which is probably the best deal in all of Hamilton!

Happy chatter filled the room as old friends greeted each other.  Five friends of mine came again this year and I appreciated that.  They seemed to have had a great time and mixed well with those present.

I enjoy chatting with people, some I see on a regular basis, others I only see from time to time.  Some folk use German only while others use English.  It is a great opportunity for me to keep my German skills up as I hardly use the language anymore.

I took my lunch break with two of my friends.  We had to go elsewhere in the church to find a seat, the hall was so crowded with people enjoying sauerkraut, sausage and a bun. 

It started to wind down a little after 1 p.m. and we closed the doors at 2 p.m.

All in all, a great day and hopefully we raised enough money to help the missions we support.

No comments: