Sunday, November 8, 2009

Zimbabwe Fund raising event

Project Zimbabwe Fundraising Concert - Nov. 7,2009. Held at Community Living Hamilton, 191 York Boulevard, Hamilton, Ontario.



The evening opened with music by Paul Hogeterp. At 7 p.m., the Master of Ceremony, Scott Crawford, welcomed people and invited them to put bids on the many lovely articles set up attractively on tables. This was the silent auction and it closed at 9 p.m. The live auction started at 9:05 p.m. but unfortunately my friend wanted to leave.
Music was provided throughout the evening by Paul Hogeterp, Jason Pluim, Melissa & group, and Isobelle Gunn.
I particularly enjoyed the African group who sang and also the young girl and the gentleman (name unknown) who sang back up for her.

The African people "thrill" like the Middle Eastern people do when they are happy. I love to hear that. I believe it is only women who are capable of doing that.

Light refreshments were provided throughout the evening.
Mr. Michael Alemu gave a very interesting speech outlining the work done by Christian Horizons in Zimbabwe, and stressed the need to continue building a dormitory for those students who are developmentally challenged so that they could live at the school. There was also a short video which, unfortunately, went too fast for me to catch everything. It was an excellent video aside from that point.
There are 2,2400 people supported by CH on an on-going basis as well as people given emergency assistance when needed.
Mr. Alemu stated that Zimbabwe used to be known as the 'bread basket" of Africa and he believes firmly that Zimbabwe will rise again.
Although I had to leave earlier, I do know from last year, that the live auction handled by Neil Cudney tends to be lots of fun as people get into the spirit of things. I also know that Joel van Arragon would do a bang up job of thanking the performers as well as the guests for coming.
On a personal note, I was delighted to see so many of St. John's people come out and pleased that they sat with my friend and I. That doubled the pleasure of the evening for me.
A nice evening for a very good cause - raising money to build a dormitory for children who are mentally challenged.
I have just learned that CH raised $2,600 for this project! Congratulations to the organizers!
Christian Horizons do excellent work both in this country and in the world.


No comments: