Friday, February 6, 2009

Ricky Valens

I was watching Vision TV last night and they had the life story of Ricky Valens on. I remember his songs and his voice and knew a little bit abit about his life story but this movie painted a better picture for me. It was such a sad story, in some ways, and yet a story of real love. The love of a son for his Mom and the love of a girl who was forbidden to him by her father.

This young man showed his love for his Mom by buying her a house to live in where she would be safe and secure after her difficult life.

He expressed his deep love of the girl by writing a song about her - "Donna"

I found it such a moving story that I was in tears in part of it. The one son taking drugs and alcohol and acting out, and the other son choosing the path of music to express his feelings.

Such a contrast in the two boys.

When Ricky Valens was killed in the plane crash, the other son, Bobby, finally matured and took responsibility seriously.

I could see why he was acting out. He felt unappreciated and in the shadows of his talented brother. He felt that his Mom loved Ricky more than him.

How lucky are people who can express their emotions through the writing of poetry, stories, songs or can paint pictures.

My son writes songs and sings them, at one time he had thought of writing stories, but song writing became more appealing to him. I encouraged him by sending him for voice lessons when he was much younger.

My daughter, also, has a nice voice and enjoys music to this day. Music was always a big part of our home life when my children were growing up.

Due to Ricky Valens Mexican heritage on his mother's side, music most likely was a great part of his identify and influenced him in his very early days.

In my view, this young man was lost to this world too young. He had a lot to offer.

I hope to be able to watch Vision TV tonight at 9 p.m. to see the movie about Buddy Holly.

.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you are confusing him with Ritche Valens, who died in a plane crash along with Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper on Feb/3/1959 he was 17yrs old.That day would later be known as "The Day The Music Died", upon the release of American Pie, by Don McClean.
There is a Ricky Valens who released a song called Tell Laura I Love Her.His real name is David Spencer and was the 1st Welshman to have a #1 hit in the UK