Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Have been taking a little break

The reason for that is, of course, to regain my health and get back onto the right path.  The minor stroke I had on Sept. 17th was a warning as far as I am concerned.  I tend to be too busy and doing things rather than sitting and relaxing and just "being".

I received really good care at St. Joe's here in Hamilton and I must say that they have been the most thorough of all the hospitals I have been in because of strokes.  That includes both Toronto and Hamilton hospitals.

Before I was allowed to leave the hospital emergency, they made an appointment with the Rapid Assessment Department.  Within a very short period of time I got an appointment.  In this department I saw a nurse practitioner, an occupational therapist, a dietician, and a social worker. I think there was one more person involved as well but I don't remember what their function was.  They were all lovely and kind people.  The doctor there sent me for an MRI while I was there.

The dear social worker wanted to arrange home care for me but I don't need it at this time.  She said I could call CCAC (Community Care Access) and I would qualify for home care.

My next appointment was with the Stroke Prevention Clinic at the Fontbonne Building.  I had a lovely young intern called Sultan and he was so kind to me as was the nurse I saw first.  Young doctor Sultan (his first name) conferred with the head doctor on his routine findings and then the head doctor came in to see me.  A very good system -training the young doctors to get experience with hands on and yet overseen by the more experienced doctor. The older doctor has a Sri Lanken name and he was so gentle.  He told me that they found something else in their tests and I needed further tests to deal with that. I will be going shortly to have these tests done.

He also told me to call my family doctor and cardiologist and make an appointment sooner rather than later.

It has been a very interesting time and a mostly positive experience except for the stroke itself when I had some real difficulty being on my own.  It would have been better if people were around at that time but dear old Boots did not know how to help me!

I only missed two sessions with my ESL student, one of which she missed as it was Eid and this worked out very well for me as I still was not quite back to normal.

There are a few upcoming events on the poetry side.  This weekend there is a free poetry reading at 2 p.m. at the Carnegie Gallery and my student may come as she lives in Dundas.  To begin the event, there is a guided tour of the art and the poetry and the guides will read the poems out loud to the walkers.  That part starts at 1 p.m.  The readings will start at 2 p.m. indoors.  I hope it will be a nice weekend.  I may try and go for 1 p.m. so I can take the tour.

In the fall in Canada, here are lots of nice things going on.  Church bazaars, poetry readings, and nice nature walks in the beautiful spots in Hamilton which are so many!

Thanks for dropping by and have a good day.


Andreas Gripp said...

hoping you get well real soon Wilma

Wilma Seville said...

Thank you andreas. Each day gets a little better and I am in very capable hands at St. Joe's.

princess-anna said...

Hi Mom I hope you are feeling better soon and that the doctors are taking very good care of you.
I love you dearly

Wilma Seville said...

Thank you Anna, I am in very good hands and I am doing well. Have a good day!