Wednesday, February 5, 2014

ESL TUTORS AND STUDENT PARTY

Yesterday was a busy day for me.  I showed an apartment to a nice young lady and her mother, showed them the building, and told them a little bit about life in Hamilton.  They were from Toronto.  It is my friend's apartment who moved away to Toronto and I usually show it for them so they won't have to come all the way to Hamilton each time somebody wants to take a look.

Then it was my regular tutoring job at the library after which I scurried home and made a couscous salad to bring to the party.

People brought many dishes which I was not familiar with and it was fun to try them.  There was more than enough food for everybody and we all sat around in the library staff lounge and enjoyed chatting with each other.

Lorraine, our co-ordinator had taken a month long trip to China and she talked about this trip and showed us pictures.

I really got a kick out of how the many Chinese folk there ( adult students) corrected her pronunciation of the places she had been.  We were all laughing about it as it was the opportunity for the students to shine and to correct their teachers when it came to their own language!

Great fun with much laughter.

As it was Chinese New Year, each guest at the individual tables got a little red package to open.  Inside was a piece of chocolate made to look like a golden coin.

There was a group of Chinese elders who are also students and they read together and demonstrated their skills to the audience.  They got a real round of applause and you could see how pleased they were to have their work noticed.

All in all, it was a lovely evening and very, very well attended.

Fortunately, the promised snowfall held off well into the night as right now it is raging all around Hamilton and vicinity as well as in Kitchener and Toronto.  As a totally practical person, I had gone to do some grocery shopping in between my teaching job and preparing a dish for the pot luck so I am well prepared for whatever nature throws at us.

Thanks for dropping by.

 

No comments: