Tuesday, October 28, 2014

SILENCE IS GOLDEN?

It seems not.  One of my dear friends called me yesterday and said that she noticed that I had not written anything lately on my personal blog.  It is so nice of her to notice that.

My excuse?  I don't really have one.  I have been busy with other things which seem to fill my days.

I have had the pleasure of meeting two delightful Chinese ladies, mother and daughter and we have spent some time together. Like me, the mother is a writer but in China of course.  I met the Mom first at the Harvest Dinner at church and invited her to go with me to Princess Point on the bus after the dinner.  She was so delighted to find one of the many beauty spots in Hamilton.  Soon after that, I met her 15 year old daughter and I suspect we all have adopted each other.  Mr. Boots (as they call my dear old cat) has many fans for his good nature, but Tina, the daughter,  is his chief one now!

I found something interesting in a comment the Mom said to me when we were at Princess Point.  She said that in China it is difficult to find blue skies.  I think I understood her (English difficulties) to mean that things are so polluted there that there must be a haze over the cities.  The Mom shares a common city with my brother and sister-in-law.  She knows the university where they teach and many familiar places there.  I really like the Chinese people (in general) having had several Chinese friends in Toronto and now my new friends.

Aside from going about my regular activities such as the ladies group at church, my ESL tutoring volunteer job, and taking part in a Newcomers to Canada Saturday afternoon programme at St. Paul's, I try to keep up with my Montreal and Toronto friends via telephone.  I have some very elderly friends (94 and  96 years old) that I call on a regular basis.  Naturally, I have friends who are my age as well there and call them as well.I have a plan that allows me free calls in Canada and the U.S.A.    I am so fortunate to have been able to keep many of my Montreal and Toronto friends.

My nose has been in a book every spare moment I can find and Central Library has been so wonderful in suggesting books that I would enjoy.

Now that the cooler weather is upon us, I am starting to cook again.  Yesterday I made a big pot of vegetables with beef in the crock pot.  It is so easy that way and one gets a bonus of lovely soup from the liquid in the dish.  Yum, yum.......

Today I may make rice pudding in the crock pot as well.  We'll see.  I may not have time as I have my student in the afternoon at the library, but there is always another day as long as one is alive.

I also plan to make carrot cake with cream cheese icing and I may invite my Chinese friends and my Egyptian friend for tea when it is done.

So many things to enjoy, not enough time.  I thought when I retired, I would have plenty of time, but it seems that the days are just flying by.

I forgot to mention that I am currently editing two books for two different people, plus of course, working on my own poetry and short stories and occasionally writing an article for the church newsletter.

My days are full but happy and fulfilled.

Thanks for dropping by and come again some time.
 




No comments: